Chapter 9


                Arabella let go of Hunter’s wrist as they exited the mess hall. “You, my friend, are a big jerk.” She said punching him in the arm.
                “What did I do?” Hunter said with a chuckle, knowing exactly what she was referring to. “I take it you received good news?”
                “I’m going to Olympus!” She said before hugging him around the neck again. “And it’s all thanks to you.” She said as she broke the embrace. Hunter smiled and shrugged.
                “It was nothing. I was just doing a favor for a good friend of mine.” He grinned at her.
                “Thanks.” She said quietly, looking into his eyes for a second before blushing and taking a step away from him.
                “So, when do you leave? I’m sure you’re excited.” Hunter said putting his arm around her shoulder as they walked.
                “Tomorrow.” She said before clearing her throat. “That means that I have to…” He voice trailed off.
                “Talk to Brian, today.” Hunter finished. “What are you going to say to him?” He said quietly. Arabella took a deep breath.
                “’Brian. I’ve been doing a lot of thinking. I love you a lot, but I need to focus on me, right now. I’ve been with someone for so long I’m not sure if I can stand on my own two feet. I need to spend some time figuring that out. I think that this time in Olympus will be a good opportunity to do that.’” She said like she had rehearsed it. “Or something.” Hunter gave her a friendly squeeze.
                “If he has a reasonable bone in his body, he’ll take it well.” Hunter said trying to comfort him. “Either way, good luck.” He said with a warm smile.
                “Hunter. You’ve always been a good friend. No matter what, I want you to live a good life. Even if that means leaving the Hunters. You deserve a good life.” She said looking into his eyes.
                “You too, Arabella. I appreciate you saying that.” He said with a smile. “Arabella, I’m positive that however this thing with Brian goes, you’re going to have a happy life. I really do mean that.” Hunter said with a grin.
                “As long as we keep in touch. You’re not going to forget about me are you?” She said in a teasing voice.
                “Oh, please. I couldn’t forget about you even if I tried.” He said with a chuckle. Arabella swatted him in the shoulder. “I’m kidding. I’m kidding.”
                “You better be.” She said with a chuckle.
                “Arabella! Oh my goodness!” A voice said from somewhere behind Hunter. They turned to see Geoff, Arabella’s brother. He was a little...feminine. “Arabella!” He ran over and grabbed her hands. Hunter watched as they jumped up and down and giggled. He turned to Hunter. “Oh…Hey, Hunter.” He said with a wink.
                “What the-“ Hunter started before Arabella stepped between them.
                “Geoff! Come help me pack!” She said pushing him toward Aphrodite cabin. She turned to Hunter and smiled. She looked at him for a moment before taking a step forward and kissing him on the cheek. “Thanks, Hunter.”
                “Anytime, Arabella.” He said with a nod. He watched the two of them walk away before Hunter laughed and started walking toward Artemis cabin. He checked his watch. “Oh, gods! I need to teach wilderness class!” He said as he sprinted toward the woods. He slowed to a stop to see Will standing there already teaching. He turned and smiled at Hunter.
                “Ahh…He finally arrives. You know, Hunter? Someone had to take this over when you left for Olympus. I was selected as that person for some reason. You’re MORE than welcome to take over for me.” Will said with a chuckle. Hunter shook his head.
                “Oh, no. Please. Continue.” He said gesturing to the class. A smile spread across his face as Will began to teach.
                “Okay. Well, now that I’m being critiqued, let’s get going.” Will said as he took a few steps toward the woods. They entered into the woods and Will began to teach. With Hunter’s help, Will instructed the campers and finally finished class with some extra time. “Okay. Well, you can go back if you want or you can hang around here. Maybe Hunter will show off again and climb a tree or something.” Hunter laughed at Will’s comment.
                “I suppose I could.” Hunter said with a shrug. He glanced around and selected his tree. “Here’s something Will can’t show you.” He said with a chuckle before running right at the tree and sticking his foot out at the last moment. He pushed off the trunk of the tree to get the extra height he needed to snag that high branch. He pulled himself up and stood on the branch before jumping off and snagging a higher branch. He climbed up to a higher and higher branch until he couldn’t really climb anymore. He reached up and grabbed a thin branch that he was unsure if it would carry his weight.
                “Hey, Hunter! Maybe…Maybe you could come down, now?!” asked Dana, a daughter of Apollo.
                “No. No.” Hunter said nervously. “I can make it.” He said as he jumped and pulled himself toward the branch. He started to pull himself up, but the branch broke. He fell down the tree, trying to snag a branch on the way. He finally landed hard on the ground with a thud.
                “Oh my gods, Hunter!” Will said as he ran over and knelt down.
                “I’m fine! I’m fine!” Hunter said just before he passed out.