Chapter 13


                Hunter watched as Marina and Kyle walked into the woods. A smile spread across his face. He was happy for them. Two of his closest friends in a healthy relationship. He let out a sigh before turning toward the ocean again. He picked up a rock or two and started skipping them.
                “How’s it going?” A voice said. Hunter turned to see Will walking toward him. He picked up a few rocks.
                “Hey, Will. Does everyone know this is where I go to relax?” He said with a chuckle before skipping another rock across the water. Will stood next to him and skipped a rock that skipped all the way across the water and out of sight. Hunter turned to him. “That’s so unfair.” Will laughed a before throwing another rock.
                “So what brings you out here to your thinking spot?” Will said as he skipped another rock. Hunter laughed at his predictability.
                “I’ve got another quest.” Hunter said with a nervous chuckle. Will looked at him, surprised. Hunter nodded and let out an anxious laugh. “Yeah, I don’t have it, yet, but Artemis wants me on it.”
                “Wow. Umm…That’s not normal, is it?” He said with a furrow in his brow. “Well who are you taking?”
                “Well, I don’t know. It depends on the prophecy.” Hunter said, skipping another stone. “Why? Are you up for it?” He looked at Will, who was studying the ground almost in shame. “Will? What’s up?”
                “I can’t, actually.” Will said, looking up at Hunter with a half-smile. “I have a date.” He said with a chuckle. Hunter’s eyes widened.
                “You have a date?!” He said staring at him. Will chuckled.
                “I might be just as surprised as you are.” He said with a grin. Hunter patted him in the shoulder.
                “Congrats, man!” Hunter said with a nod. “I guess you’re off the hook with this one.” He said with a nod.
                “Yeah, I would REALLY appreciate getting out of this one.” He said with a smile. “You can still bring Kyle and Marina, though. They’ll be just as good. Kyle is getting pretty good with that scythe of his and Marina…Well, you know Marina.” He said with a nod.
                “Yeah, I know.” Hunter said, before he skipped his last stone. “Well, I need to get back. It won’t be the same without you, man.” He said giving him a high five.
                “Yeah, go ahead.” Will said nodding back toward camp. “I need to uh…talk to my dad.” He said looking out at the ocean. Hunter raised an eyebrow at him before realizing to whom he was talking.
                “Oh! Right! Your dad is- Yes.” Hunter said with an embarrassed nod. “Yes. I’ll leave you to it.” He said before backing away from Will. He laughed before walking into the woods and back to the main part of the camp.
                As he walked back near the cabins, he looked around. It was peacefully busy. There were people milling around, living their normal lives, but none of them knew what Hunter was dreaming about. The potential quest that was awaiting him. They walked and talked and laughed like there was nothing wrong and that there was nothing that could do anything to change that. Hunter stood near the fire and looked at a little girl near it. He blinked a few times before taking a step closer.
                “It’s odd how…oblivious some people can be.” He said, sounding a little bitter. She looked up at him and smiled.
                “There’s always something, isn’t there?” She said calmly.
                “They walk around thinking that everything is safe. I’m about to go on another quest.” Hunter said with a nervous chuckle. “There’s got to be something weird about that, right?” He said looking at her, not expecting an answer.
                “Well, you’re a unique person, Hunter.” She said. “Quests are always given to unique people.” She said with a smile. “You just happen to be more unique than others.” She said to him with a genuine chuckle.
                “I’m sorry. Have we met?” He said looking at her. He felt like he had seen her, but he didn’t know her. He was comfortable, but something seemed interesting about her. “I’m Hunter, but you already knew that. May I ask who you are?” She looked at him and laughed.
                “Hestia.” She said shaking his hand. Hunter’s eyes widened and he immediately dropped to one knee. “Hunter. Hunter Hunter. Calm down. You have not offended me.” She said calmly.
                “Sorry, ma’am.” He said nervously. “How did I not know you were…you?” He asked himself.
                “Most people don’t.” She said looking at him closely. “Many years I have been here tending to the fire. Campers greater than you have walked right by.” She said with a nod. “I find it interesting that after 13 years, you finally decide to talk to me.”
                “I…” He wasn’t sure why it had taken him so long. “I just happened to be standing here.” He said with a small chuckle. Hestia smiled at him.
                “It happens.” She said. “Now, if you’ll excuse me. I must speak to Demeter and you need to go to the Big house.” She said before waving and disappearing into the fire.
                “Wait. I need to…Okay.” He said with a sigh as he watched her vanish.  “I guess I should go to the Big house, then. Let’s not think that a god is wrong, right?” He said to himself before spinning on his heels to look toward the Big house. He took a deep breath before leaving the fire behind and walking toward his destination.