Chapter 11


                “Thank you, Hunter.” Artemis said quietly. “I must leave you, now. I will wait to hear from you.” She said before Hunter’s pendant dimmed until stopping its glow. Hunter sat there staring out at the ocean. “I’m going on another quest.” He said to himself quietly.
                “There you are. I was looking for you.” Marina said walking up from behind him. “Will told me you fell out of a tree. Smooth move.” She said with a chuckle as she sat down next to him. “Hunter? You okay?”
                “Yeah…” Hunter said looking down at his pendant for a moment. “I just talked to Artemis. Where’s Kyle?” He asked, a little surprised to see her without him.
                “He’s been wrangled into helping clean up the Demeter cabin.” She said rolling her eyes. “What did Artemis have to say? Is something wrong?”
                “Phil-uhm…Three hunters went missing.” He said studying the ground. “Artemis doesn’t even know where they are. It’s like they’ve dropped off the face of the planet.” He said with a solemn look on his face.
                “Oh.” She said with a sigh. “Anyone you knew?” She asked. Hunter was hoping she wouldn’t ask that.
                “Uhh…yeah. Philippa. She was a good…friend.” He said swallowing.
                “Why does it feel like there’s more to that?” Marina asked looking into his eyes. “You don’t have to tell me, if you don’t want to.” She said quietly before studying her hands in her lap. “You used to tell me everything, Hunter. I miss having you around.”
                “I miss being here, Marina. Philippa was the person I talked to when I didn’t have someone to talk to. Philippa took your place. She was there when my mom died.” He said quietly. “She was my best friend while I was there. We were really close and she uh…” He said with a swallow. “She kissed me.”
                “WHAT?!” Marina said with wide eyes. “She kissed you?!”
                “Yes and do you mind speaking up? I don’t think San Francisco heard you.” Hunter said with a sigh. “I didn’t know how to respond so I just kind of…stood there.” He said with a sigh, looking out at the ocean again. Marina looked at him and sighed.
                “I um…I’m sorry, Hunter. I didn’t mean to make fun of you.” She said, lightly putting a hand on his arm. “Well, if she’s gone…” She stopped talking and stood up. “When do we leave?” She asked looking down at him.
                “She said there’s a prophecy coming. She wants me on it.” He said standing up. “Thanks though.” He said giving her a small smile.
                “Hey. What’s up, guys?” Kyle said walking up and wrapping his arms around Marina’s waist. Marina smiled and turned around. He kissed her gently.
                “Did you and Penny finally get the cabin cleaned up?” She said with a smile.
                “Yeah. Finally.” He said, pulling her close. “So what were you guys up to?” He asked with a smile.
                “We were just talking.” Marina said. “Kyle, we’re going on another quest.”