Chapter 6


He found himself near the top of a mountain. Looking around, he could see water; An ocean maybe. A bridge. The Golden Gate Bridge. ‘I’m on Mt. Tamalpais…’ He thought to himself. Finally he realized what was important about Mt. Tamalpais. He looked toward the top of the mountain. The clouds above Hunter seemed gloomy. Dark. Sinister. He took a deep breath and made his climb toward the top of the mountain. As he got closer he heard a low groan. It got louder and louder as he got closer to the top. Finally, he reached the summit. He listened as Atlas groaned under the weight of the sky, but there was something odd about him. Hunter cautiously stepped closer and saw that Atlas looked older; He looked as though he were being drained. His black hair graying. His strong muscular stature was weaker and sicklier. Hunter took a few steps closer. He noticed something wrapped around his ankles. He took a few more steps closer. “Help me….Help me…” Atlas spoke quietly. “For your sake. For all of our people’s sake….Help me….” He muttered when he saw Hunter approaching. Hunter took a few more steps closer. Suddenly, three faces flashed in front of him, scaring him out of his sleep.
He sat up in a cold sweat and stared straight ahead. “What was that?” He said quietly, as his mind went over what he had just witnessed. “Was this real? Who were those people? I think I recognized them.” He said to no one in particular. “Oh, great. Now I’m talking to myself.” He said with a sigh. He rubbed his eyes and went off to take a shower. “Oh, Capture the flag today…” He said as he headed out. The sun was just starting to set and the camp was more or less empty. After his shower, Hunter got dressed and walked to the mess hall and got in line. After he got his tray of food and started eating, Arabella came in and did the same thing. She sat down at Aphrodite table and didn’t even notice Hunter for the first 10 minutes of her sitting there. Hunter didn’t really notice her or feel particularly urged to talk to her at the moment. He was still mulling over his dream. After 10 minutes, she finally noticed and sat across from Hunter.
“Hi, Hunter!” She said with her usual bright and perky disposition. Hunter swallowed down his bite of food and looked up at her with a half-smile.
“Hey, Arabella. How are you this morning?” He said with a tired voice before taking another bite of food.
“I’m great! I love capture the flag day.” She said with a happy sigh. “I’m always the distraction. Walking around and having guys drool all over me? Definite ego boost.” She said with a grin.
“Figures.” He said with a chuckle. “So do you know how the teams are set up, this year?” He asked taking a sip of tea.
“I think Aphrodite, Athena, Apollo, Hecate, and the other minor gods against Ares, and pretty much everyone else. I’m really starting to like our chances this year.” Arabella said with a teasing wink at Hunter. Hunter chuckled.
“Oh, really? I was feeling pretty good about this year. Like I do every year.” He said with a smile. “Let’s hope that we don’t run into each other out on the field.” He said to her with a raised eyebrow. He finished eating and stood up.  “Hey, I’ll see you around, Arabella.” Hunter said as he put his dishes away.
“Hey, Hunter?” Arabella said, stopping him. “I know we’re on opposite sides tonight, but would you mind giving me some knife lessons? I haven’t practiced while you’ve been gone.” Arabella said with a shrug and a small smile. Hunter sighed.
“Come on.” He said nodding toward the door and walking out. Arabella smiled and ran after him. Hunter and Arabella walked into the arena and found it mostly empty. “Okay. So how much do you remember from our last lessons?” He said squaring off with her. She drew her knife and smiled cautiously at him. “You didn’t practice, like, at all, did you?” Hunter said with a sigh. “Okay. Let’s start with forward jabs.” He said as he showed her the attack. She followed along. “Okay. Practice on this dummy a few times.” She walked over to a dummy and began attacking it. “So,” Hunter said calmly. “How are things with Brian?” He asked plainly as he practiced against another dummy.
“Things are good, I guess.” She said as she stabbed a dummy.
“Why am I not convinced?” Hunter said as he taught her a new attack.
“He’s great. Believe me, I love him with all my heart and he’s done so much for me.” She said as she swiped at the dummy. “I’m just…Brian isn’t the same. He’s changed from when I fell in love with him. I’ve changed too.” She said, letting her knife hang at her side. “I feel like I need a break.” She said quietly.
“Oh,” Hunter looked at her. “Well…why do you need a break?” Hunter asked awkwardly. Arabella just shrugged.
“I feel like we’ve been together for so long and it’s been great! But I’m 16 years old. I’ve gone on quests and fought monsters. I’ve never done it on my own though. I feel like I don’t know how to take care of myself.” She said her voice growing sad. Hunter could see tears welling up in her eyes.
“Oh, Arabella.” He said as he walked up and hugged her. “That makes sense. Everyone needs to learn how to stand on their own two feet.” He said before breaking the hug. He took a step back and looked at her.
“I feel like my mom would know what to do. I’ve never even met my mom. Everyone else always talks to their godly parent. I feel like she doesn’t even know I exist.” She said, a small tear finally dripping down her cheek. She promptly wiped it away with her sleeve.
“Did I ever tell you the first time I met your mom?” He said before sitting down and leaning his back on a dummy. He patted the ground next to him and she sat down. “I was giving a message to Lady Artemis and your mom was walking out of her quarters. I walked up and she checked me out! And then winked at me!” He said putting his arm around her shoulders and squeezing her a little. “She stood in the doorway and made me slide past. It was so awkward.” He said trying to catch her eyes. She managed a smile and a small laugh.
                “I wish I could just visit her. I wish I could go to Olympus.” She said quietly. Hunter looked at her for a second.
                “Here.” Hunter reached into his pocket and pulled out a piece of paper and a pen. He reached in again and pulled out a drachma. He wrote on the piece of paper and wrapped it around the drachma. “Go to the fountains and toss this into the mist, okay? Leave it exactly like this and toss it in.” He handed it to her. Arabella looked at him strangely. “Trust me. You’ll feel better.” He said with a smile. Arabella stood up slowly and walked to the fountains. Kyle and Marina entered the arena just as Arabella walked out. They gave her a strange look and continued walking toward Hunter.
                “What’s up with her? Where’s she off to?” Marina asked glancing back for a moment.
                “She’s going to go talk to her mom. She doesn’t know that, yet.” Hunter said with a shrug. “So, are we ready for Capture the Flag?” He said with a chuckle.
                “Dude. We’ve got this one in the bag.” Kyle said giving Hunter a high five. “You ready? You’ve been out of the game for a while.” Hunter chuckled.
                “It’s been 4 months, Kyle. Not decades.” Hunter said shoving him. “You want to see how out of the game I am?” Hunter said with a grin.
                “Bring it on.” Kyle said with a smile as he pulled out his trowel and transformed it into his scythe.
                “Boys…” Marina said shaking her head. Kyle grinned at her and gave her a kiss on the cheek before squaring off with Hunter.