Chapter 35


                Hunter woke up to a familiar scene. He was in the infirmary. Again. He probably had his own bed by now. How was it possible for one person to end up in the infirmary that many times? He took a deep breath and sat up on his elbows. His back and neck were still stiff and sore from the pressure of the sky. He rubbed the back of his neck slightly and swung his legs over the side of the bed.
                “Whoa, whoa. Not so fast.” Hunter turned to see Dana walking toward him. She chuckled and shook her head. “So, we meet again, Hunter. If I started charging you, I would have more Drachmas than Hades.” She said with a chuckle before giving him an icepack. Hunter grabbed it and put it on his back.
                “Thanks, Dana.” He said with a chuckle. “You’re worth every coin.” He said, standing up. He slipped on a camp shirt. He looked at her as she rolled her eyes.
                “You know, if you’re going to ignore the doctor, than at least let me get the door for you.” She said, helping him stand and then opening the door. Hunter nodded and walked toward the door.
                “Dana,” He said looking at her. She raised an eyebrow. “Thanks.” He said before flipping her a drachma. She caught it and chuckled.
                “Anytime.” She said with a wave. Hunter walked out and saw a person that made him smile. “Philippa.” He said with a grin. She almost bumped into him, but ended up standing right in front of him. She looked up at him and grinned.
                “Hi.” She said quietly before hugging him. Hunter smiled. “I was just about to go see you.” She said quietly before blushing and stepping backward. Hunter raised an eyebrow and looked at her. He was worried about the effect of the arrows. She seemed okay, though. “I wanted to talk to you.”
                “Are you living at camp again?” He asked. She nodded.
                “I’m no longer a hunter and I’ve been a hunter for a long time, Hunter.” She said with a sad sigh. “Lily and Odessa have left to pursue their ‘one true loves’. I’m here. Seemingly unaffected by the arrow. Maybe because I’m a daughter of Aphrodite or maybe because the arrow didn’t make a direct hit.” She shrugged. Hunter looked at her and realized something.
                “So, do you remember anything from being possessed?” He asked quietly, taking a step closer. She studied the ground and nodded.
                “I’m so sorry, Hunter.” She said quietly. “I couldn’t control myself. I wanted to stop them, but-“ Hunter pulled her into a hug.
                “It’s okay.” He said, rubbing her back. “You couldn’t control yourself and it was nothing I haven’t taken before.” He said with a grin. She buried her face in his chest and Hunter pulled her close. He broke the hug and looked at her. “Since you weren’t affected though, does that mean you’re going back to the Hunters?” He said, his stomach clenched. She opened her mouth to speak, but she was interrupted.
                “Hunter!” Hunter turned to see Arabella running at him. She hugged him and giggled. Hunter winced at the pain shooting up his neck and then smiled.
                “Hey, Arabella.” He said with a chuckle. “I thought you were in Olympus.” He said breaking the hug.
                “I’m back for a few days. I wanted to talk to Daniel about things and then he told me about you going on another quest and so I got worried and now you’re here! It’s good to see you, Stud Muffin!” She said hugging him again.  Hunter and Arabella had always teased Brian by calling each other pet names and such.
                “Good to see you too, Honey Bunch.” Hunter said with a chuckle. He looked at Philippa who seemed slightly bothered by the sight of Arabella and Hunter flirting. “Arabella, meet your sister. Philippa, this is Arabella. “ Arabella looked at him for a second and then looked at Philippa.
                “My sister?” She said. Philippa cleared her throat and extended her hand.
                “Daughter of Philippa at your service. Uh..I mean, Aphrodite. Daughter of…Aphrodite. I’m Philippa.” She said nervously. Arabella looked at her for a second before shaking her hand. There was a slightly awkward silence before Hunter heard his stomach grumble.
                “Wow. I am starved.” He turned to Philippa and smiled. “You want to go to the mess hall?” He hesitated a second before taking her hand. “You’re welcome to join too, Arabella.” He said before turning toward the cafeteria. As he walked people looked at Philippa’s and his hands interlocked before looking at him and patting his shoulder.
“Nice one, Hunter.” An Athena kid said patting him on the back. Hunter waved and smiled as the other people greeted him. He finally entered and looked at Philippa who was studying the ground. He furrowed his brow and got in line. He got food and sat down at the Artemis table where Philippa and Arabella joined him. “So, Arabella, how’s Olympus?” He asked taking a bite of food. Arabella looked from him to Philippa then to him again.
                “It’s really good.” She said with a nod. “My mom is great. I’ve been learning a lot.” She said plainly. “So, is she still evil or what?” Arabella asked nodding toward Philippa.
                “Does she look evil?” Hunter said with a chuckle. Arabella shrugged and picked at her food. He gave her a look in an attempt to tell her to be nice.
                “Wait, so if you’re a daughter of Aphrodite, then how did you become a Hunter? I mean, how could you stand doing nothing that mom does?” Arabella said leaning over the table slightly. Hunter looked at Philippa who seemed a little hurt.
                “Well, I was here at camp for a while, but I never really…had a place. I mean, even in the Aphrodite cabin, I was never the prettiest girl. I mean, not like you. You’re beautiful. I’m just pretty, I guess. I always wanted more than that, you know?” She said with a shrug. “To go on quests and be a hero. Stuff like that. So, when Lady Artemis showed up I was quick to join the hunters.”  Arabella looked at her and then Hunter.
                “She’s not a hunter, anymore, though.” Hunter said with a nod. He looked at Philippa who was studying her food with a sad look on her face. Hunter’s stomach hurt suddenly. “You aren’t a hunter though, right?” He asked quietly. Philippa got up from the table and walked out. Hunter looked at Arabella for a second before getting up and walking out of the mess hall after her. “Philippa! Wait!” Hunter finally caught up and lightly grabbed her arm. She turned around, but couldn’t look him in the eye.
                “I’m not going to do that to you, Hunter.” She said quietly. Hunter stepped closer and furrowed his brow.
                “Philippa, what are you talking about?  Do what to me?” He said quietly. She looked up at him with tears in her eyes.
                “Hunter, you have a place here. People like you. Arabella certainly does.” She said quietly, the last part under her breath. “We can’t be together.  I’m sorry for putting the idea in your head. That’s why I’m joining back up. The arrow made me fall in love only temporarily, so I lost the oath, but Lady Artemis has welcomed me back. I have the rest of the day to make my decision.” She said, hanging her head.
                “Philippa, don’t. I want us to be together. After you kissed me, it was all I could think about. After I thought about it, I realized that I want to be with you. I want this.” He said, looking into her eyes. She sighed and shook her head.
                “I don’t want you to have to leave camp, Hunter. If you leave the hunters, you have to leave camp. You won’t be able to see it.” She said, shaking her head again. Hunter grabbed her by the shoulders. He wanted to be with her. He really did have feelings for her, but camp was all he knew. There was nothing waiting for him past the pine tree.
                “One year.” He said with a sigh. She looked at him with sad eyes. She shook her head and looked away. “No, listen. In one year, we’ll revisit the idea. You get used to being a camper again. I’m going to say my goodbyes.” He said quietly. “We’ll make this work.” He took a deep breath before taking her hands and looking into her eyes.
                “Are you sure?” Philippa said quietly. Hunter nodded.
                “I’m positive.” He said with a small smile. Philippa smiled at him before walking forward and hugged Hunter. Hunter laughed and hugged her back. He had a good feeling things were looking up.